Monday, July 26, 2010

Spinning update

I tried a small sample of cabled yarn and decided that combining four plies made the yarn muddy, or at least a lot more blended than I really want, and the rather rough finishing approach I took (wet under running water, wring out) made the yarn awfully fuzzy. All of which might be just fine, except it wasn't the effect I wanted.

So instead I chain plied the rest of the bobbin, and I'm much happier with the results. Chain plying means creating a really large loop, results in 3 plies yarn, and makes the colors stay more or less distinct. It's interesting how very different the two skeins are, but I like them both, so I think I have a plan for the rest of it.

As seems inevitable with spinning, it feels like I've been spinning forever, but I can hardly tell that I made a dent in the original fiber stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment